Showing posts with label study. Show all posts
Showing posts with label study. Show all posts

Saturday, June 26, 2010

An update to my quandary

Fred and I have decided not to participate in the trial. Although we really, really, REALLY want to, it's just not the right time for us to sign up for something so intensive.

I spoke with the CDE in charge, and just getting to the part where we would be randomized (meaning we find out which insulin we'd be on), it quite a process; including 3 3-hour office visits where they would take history, draw blood and do some other tests. It just doesn't make sense to go through all that only to back out if we get in the Lantus group.

And as far as not wanting to try Lantus, well, Fred, Elise's endo and I are sort of all in agreement on this one... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why would we switch from an insulin that is (for now) working for us, and only having to give three shots per day; to an insulin we are totally unfamiliar with and Elise having to endure at least 4, possibly more shots per day?


All we really want to do is what's best for Elise. And I think sticking with what we're doing is what's best. And while I am very sad we don't get to be a part of the study (the total nerd in me was really looking forward to it), I feel confident we've made the right decision for us.

Now my new mission is to find out if our insurance will cover a CGM. I spent almost 3 hours (added up, over the day, not at one time) on the phone with them yesterday; getting transferred from person to person, being put on hold etc., and STILL don't have an answer. FRUSTRATING!

Those of you with little ones that are using a CGM, how did you work around the fact that they're not approved for kids under a certain age?

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A quandary and an update

First I just wanted to thank everyone who responded with their thoughts on my last post. I think I was having another one of my "moments" because we have been so lucky in the past with being able to figure out a BG issue within a day or so. Those who mentioned a growth spurt; I think you're right. Today, Elise has been out of her mind with hunger.

Last night went better, at her 11:00 pm check (when she's usually in the 70s), she was in the low 200s. And she woke up at 113... nice! Besides giving her more carbs at bedtime, we also fed her about 45 minutes before her shot, and gave her the shot about 30 minutes later than usual. Maybe this is the formula we're looking for!

Now, onto the reason for my post. At our endo appointment on Friday, Elise's doctor mentioned a study that they had going on. They're researching the use of CGMs and Lantus for toddlers (I believe they are studying them as two speparate issues). We were invited to take part and given the paperwork. Someone is supposed to call us with more info this week, but we're still very undecided on if we are going to take part.

Here are the perks:
  • the use of a FREE CGM for 6 months.
  • free insulin (me likey the free).
  • being able to help out with diabetes research.

The downsides:
  • There are two study groups... those using Lantus, and those using NPH. You cannot chose which group you're in. If we were randomly selected to be in the Lantus group, I think we would have to back out of the study (I don't want to rock the boat right now by changing to a new insulin).
  • I'm wondering if it might be a bit too much to take on right now, seeing how I'm seven months pregnant, and we would have to take Elise to special appointments for the study.
So we'll see... we do have the option of signing up and then backing out if we wind up in the Lantus group. Right now we're just waiting to be contacted.

Does anyone who is more experienced at this have some suggestions for what questions we should be asking?