Fred and I have decided not to participate in the trial. Although we really, really, REALLY want to, it's just not the right time for us to sign up for something so intensive.
I spoke with the CDE in charge, and just getting to the part where we would be randomized (meaning we find out which insulin we'd be on), it quite a process; including 3 3-hour office visits where they would take history, draw blood and do some other tests. It just doesn't make sense to go through all that only to back out if we get in the Lantus group.
And as far as not wanting to try Lantus, well, Fred, Elise's endo and I are sort of all in agreement on this one... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why would we switch from an insulin that is (for now) working for us, and only having to give three shots per day; to an insulin we are totally unfamiliar with and Elise having to endure at least 4, possibly more shots per day?
All we really want to do is what's best for Elise. And I think sticking with what we're doing is what's best. And while I am very sad we don't get to be a part of the study (the total nerd in me was really looking forward to it), I feel confident we've made the right decision for us.
Now my new mission is to find out if our insurance will cover a CGM. I spent almost 3 hours (added up, over the day, not at one time) on the phone with them yesterday; getting transferred from person to person, being put on hold etc., and STILL don't have an answer. FRUSTRATING!
Those of you with little ones that are using a CGM, how did you work around the fact that they're not approved for kids under a certain age?
20 hours ago