Friday, May 4, 2012

Still Crazy after all these years

So.  My last post alluded to something dramatic happening to Elise and I over the past week.  Yeah... about that...

It all started Friday night/Saturday morning.  If you are a veteran parent, you know that this is the time when all children get sick.  In the wee hours of the morning heading into a weekend.

Elise woke us up complaining of a tummy ache and a sore throat.  Wunderbar.  Her BG was high and ketones starting to creep up.  by 8:00 am, she was 359 and 2.4.  With a temp of almost 103.

She wanted no breakfast, so I gave her water and put her in the car to drive to the doc, who is open starting at 9:00 am on Saturdays.  My plan was to drive there and call from the parking lot so we'd be the first ones seen.  On the way into the office, Elise threw up several times.

Did I mention that it was Fred's birthday weekend, and his parents had just flown in to visit?  Because it was.  And they had.

Fred's mom came with me and the dx was strep.  The doc offered us the option of a shot instead of the 10 day course of antibiotics.  Elise was cool with it, so that's what we did.  We had to sit and wait afterwards for 15 minutes to make sure she didn't have a reaction.

Throughout our time at the doc, I checked her BG several times, bolused (when necessary), and set temp basals.  I started to see an improvement in her numbers, but had no idea what her ketones were because I had used my last strip before I left the house and forgot to replenish.  This comes into play later in the story.

After the 15 minutes, we headed out to the car.  Elise was strapped in and as I was driving towards the highway, Elise started to scream that her neck hurt and she was breathing really strangely.  Trying not to crash the car, we headed back to the office where they put her on an oxygen/pulse monitor.  The doc came in and checked her over and couldn't see anything wrong.  Elise kept whimpering that her neck (not throat) hurt.  Her BG at this point was in the low 200s.

The doc left us for about 15 minutes and came back to check again.  She was about to let us go when Elise's pulse shot way up and she started to shake and scream that her tummy hurt.  The doc was very worried about DKA, since she had large ketones to start with, and hadn't been able to keep any fluids down.  And the Mom-of-the-year left the ketone strips at home.  Go me!

She wanted to call an ambulance to take us to the Children's ER, but I was afraid it would freak Elise out even more.  Plus I had my mother-in-law with me, and I couldn't leave her there by herself.  I assured the doc I could get her to the hospital on my own.

So we jump on the highway and I start doing my best imitation of a Nascar driver with some right turns thrown in for kicks.  About 10 minutes into the 20 minute drive, Elise passes out.  Not asleep.  Out.  My mother-in-law cannot wake her, and I have no idea what Elise's BG is. To top it all off, I get lost because I came in from a different direction than I'm used to (damn these flat lands with their no landmarks!  Where are some mountains when you need them???).

I also need to mention that I am juggling calls between Laura (Nate's Mom), Fred, and the endo-on-call.  The latter one, our connection gets cut of in the middle of his instructions.  I try to reach Fred again, can't.  So I call Laura and doing  my best to reign the crazy in, I ask her for help getting to the hospital.  At this point, Fred calls, so I switch over and completely loose it.  Doing my best impression of an insane person, I start to scream at him when he asks me if I'm going north or south.  Why was I screaming?  Because I could have been headed east for all I knew... freaking metroplex and their confounding highway system.

Dontcha wish you were on my speed dial?  I'm a peach, I tell ya...

Anyway, we finally find the hospital, get Elise in and get her IV fluids.  A blood draw shows her ketones are down and her BG is 128.  They have no explanation for the shaking, stomach pain or passing out, but I am just thankful that Elise is perking up.  By 2:30 pm, we were given the all clear to go home.  Elise says, (and I quote) "this was the most funnest day ever!"  Wha???

During my ride from hell to the hospital, I drove 90 mph (highway only), ran a few red lights and made some illegal u-turns.  I was praying I would get stopped by a cop, so he could show me the way to the hospital.

The moral of this story?  Don't forget your freaking ketones strips at home.  The end.


  1. Oh Joanne, I wish I could give you a hug in person because I'm sure you need one! I cannot even imagine what it was like to go through that. Praise God that He kept you safe on the highway and healed Elise of whatever she was fighting.

    Don't beat yourself up over the ketone strips. If we Dmoms tried to be prepared for every emergency situation, we'd be carrying a bag around the size of a large suitcase.

  2. Oh my dear lord, Joanne! That you keep your sense of humor is awesome! The funnest day ever - I'm sure you agree. All I can think of is the bday pick where she is smiling. Hard to believe this went on around that time.

  3. OH MY LORD! My heart is racing just reading this post, Jo!! I would have lost my ever loving mind the second Emma passed out in the back seat. I am so glad that she was ok and that you all survived!

  4. Thanking God this day that everyone is fine and that the day was the funnest day ever...I am sure you will not forget it for a long time or ever! Sending you all many hugs and kisses. xoxo

  5. OH WOW! That is the craziest and scariest story! So glad everything turned out ok. Wow!

  6. Totally sounds like the funnest day ever to me!!! Um, Hell-to-the-NO!!!!

    So glad it was a 'quick fix' however when you are in the moment I'm sure it didn't feel like it would ever be OK.

    Where are those dang cops when you need them?!?!

  7. Totally sounds like the funnest day ever to me!!! Um, Hell-to-the-NO!!!!

    So glad it was a 'quick fix' however when you are in the moment I'm sure it didn't feel like it would ever be OK.

    Where are those dang cops when you need them?!?!

  8. Oh my goodness, I just speed-read that post hoping for a happy ending... so glad it was a good one for you.

    I never carry ketone strips unless we're spending the night somewhere, so don't feel bad. There's just no way to carry every possible d-supply with us 24/7. I'm surprised the doctor's office didn't have any- when my daughter was diagnosed that's what the pediatrician used.

  9. Oh my goodness! Glad it all turned out OK and it was "the funnest day ever!" :-)

    And I never carry ketone strips with me. Is that bad?

  10. Oh my...that just sounds so scary!! I'm glad she's okay...and that you can see the humor in it all (after the fact of course!) I never used to carry ketone strips or meter with me, but now I always just never know and it has come in handy a lot!!

  11. My heart hurt reading this. Love you!

  12. holy. freaking. crapballs.

    i am so glad there was a happy ending here (funnest ever!), but JEEZ it's enough to drive you over the edge! WOW!

    tanks for sharing it in such an entertaining fashion though!


Comment moderation now in effect because of jerky comment spammers.

Now please leave your message after the beep.