Monday, July 13, 2009

Joanne's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad... weekend

Oh man, if I could go back and erase the last two days, I would. I cannot remember being that miserable in a long time.

It started Saturday morning when I woke up feeling sick. Sore throat, headache and a wee bit nauseous. I wrote it off as just being tired and tried to get on with my day.

After lunch, we had a battle royal with Elise about nap time. Seriously, the girl screamed for over an hour before she finally went to sleep. I usually don't like letting her get that upset (for fear of what it will do to her blood sugar), but I'm starting to see hints of a strong-willed child, and I feel like I need to put my foot down. She's tired, all the signs are there, she just doesn't want to miss anything. She awoke, screaming of course, after only 45 minutes.

After she got up, we had to go grocery shopping. We had Elise in one of those carts with the car on the front, and about halfway through, we noticed her face was getting puffy and red. She also had a rash on her arm with what looked like a white bite-mark in the middle. We got her out of the cart and it cleared up. So weird. We always use those carts and have never had a problem. Fred told me the reason he picked that particular cart is because it looked brand new.

Throughout the day we were battling high BG numbers with ketones on and off. She woke up with them, then they were gone at lunch, only to reappear at bedtime. We hung out with some friends that night who had invited us over to come see the owl and her owlets in their backyard. Elise loves owls, so we thought she'd love it... and she did, except she was soooooo cranky the whole time.

When I went to bed that night, I felt like I had been hit by a truck. I had a fever, chills, muscle aches and my throat was on fire. I downed two Tylenol PMs, and tossed and turned until I fell asleep.

Sunday morning Elise started crying at around 4:00 am, so Fred went in to check her BG. High 200s with 0.7 ketones. She settled down, but when she woke up a few hours later, her BG was still high and ketones were now 2.0. We called the endo, spoke to the on-call doc and felt reassured that what we were doing was right.

After lunch, Fred had to drive some neighbours to the airport, and as soon as he left, Elise went crazy. She's been having this separation anxiety from him lately. If he even leaves the room, she gets so upset. I think it was made worse this weekend because she wasn't feeling well. I tried to settle her down and put her down for a nap, but she went ballistic! It was awful listening to her scream like that. After about 45 minutes, she finally slept... for 30 minutes.

When she woke up, we let her play for a bit, and at some point we noticed she had the same rash as yesterday, but now it was all over her body. It looked so bad, but it didn't seem to bother her. Thankfully, we have a friend who is a PA that lives nearby, so he told Fred to bring her over. He said it looked like an allergic reaction to something, and gave us some soap to bathe her with and told us to use Benadryl cream on the rash. It did the trick and the rash started looking better almost right away.

All this drama caused us to miss church, which wasn't a huge deal since the last two times we've been, Elise has gotten so upset in the nursery, we've had to leave service to get her.

I woke up this morning feeling worse than ever (seriously, the last time I felt this bad is when I had strep throat). I managed to get in to see my doc, but the only appointment time they have is when my husband is in a meeting. So I have to drag Elise with me to a germ-infested doctor's office. Yay.

So let's see; we're battling high BG numbers, ketones, rashes, illness, separation anxiety, sleep issues and just plain bad attitudes (mine included).

If you stayed with me this long, either you are extremely patient or a sucker for punishment. Either way, thanks. I needed to get that off my chest. To make matters extra-specially worse, Fred is going to NYC on Wednesday until Friday.

Life sure stinks sometimes.


  1. YUCK!!!!!!!

    Oh, man...mommies don't get sick!!! Didn't you get the memo?

    Stay strong, Mama. You're doing a great job. It's hard to hear our sweet babies scream, I know, but you're in charge and that's just the way it is!

    I was thinking about the cart and how Fred thought it looked brand you think there could have been latex in the plastic? It would seem strange that she'd have a reaction to THAT particular cart. I know that latex allergies/sensitivies are common...just a thought...hmmmm...

    Because you don't have enough thinking to do as it is.

    Hope you feel better, super, terrific, incredible, on top of the world soon!

  2. hang in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. YIKES! Thats ALOT for one day, especially a weekend. Complain all you need....we hear ya!! It will make you feel so much better to get it off your chest and move on! Hopefully you move on to your bed for some quiet movie time!

  4. Oh....bummer. So sorry you've been sick! I hope you're feeling better SOON!
    I wondered the same thing as Wendy- latex allergies are pretty common. Or- maybe some chemical they cleaned the cart with?


Comment moderation now in effect because of jerky comment spammers.

Now please leave your message after the beep.